Tuesday, February 7, 2012

"the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion" Windows deployement services (WDS)

  This is the message i get when i'm configuring windows deployement services in a IBM x3650 M3 server with Xeon processor.
   Initially i thought that it would be a issue with network configuration, share permission and stuffs like that...


But even after checking all the possiblities the server gave me the same message. Then i went to event viewer for further digging. In Event viewer out of my luck no further information except the below.



  It was giving me event id 257 repeatedly with a message "An error occured while trying to start windows deployment service"  and that's it.. I ran out of ideas.

  A research (googling) taught me that the wds service is not capable of handling more that 20 logical processors assigned to host server. OMG.. Then i checked my server's specs, it has 6*4=24 logical processors. Damn!..

  From elevated command prompt i ran the below command, to set the maximum logical processor as 20 in that server as a test.

bcdedit /set {current} numproc 20

and restarted my computer.

  Voila, After a restart my wds started working as expected. But i cant use all my resources.

  Expecting an update from microsoft to address this issue.

if you want to revert back youu can run the below command in elevated command prompt.

bcdedit /deletevalue {current} numproc

Hope this helps...
                                                                                                                                    Techytipz

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You save my time! thanks!!

S A Delphin said...

You are welcome

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Coupons